Strawberry Pie Recipe
As soon as Quebec strawberries appear on the shelves, the first thing that comes to my mind is to eat a strawberry pie!
With its melt-in-your-mouth shortbread crust, the vanilla sweetness of the custard cream blends perfectly with the freshness of the strawberries.
Use the pie crust of your choice - if you're looking for a gluten-free one, our pie crust mix is available in the online store.
The turmeric in the recipe is barely noticeable but is ideal for adding a more appetizing color to the custard, as well as adding health interest with its detoxifying and immune system boosting properties.
As always vegan, gluten-free, egg-free, dairy-free, free from the top ten allergens.
Ingredients for the pastry cream
Output: 2 x 10cm (4") diameter tartlets or 1 x 6" tartlets
- 500g (2 cups) of hot vegetal milk
- 60g (1/4 cup) of cane sugar
- 50g of corn starch*
- 2.5ml (1/2 tsp.) of vanilla extract
- 25gr (2 tbsp.) of vegetal butter
- 1 pinch of turmeric
1. In a bowl, whisk together sugar and cornstarch.
2. Pour in the hot milk and mix well.
3. Transfer to a saucepan and cook over medium heat until thickened. Be careful to scrape the bottom and sides of the pan.
4. The mixture is cooked through when a clear, thick trace is left on the back of a spoon or spatula.
5. Remove from heat and add vanilla, turmeric** and vegetal butter until melted.
6. Cover with plastic wrap or parchment paper and chill in the refrigerator.
7. Meanwhile, bake pie shells and let cool on a rack.
8. Whip the custard after removing from the refrigerator to soften the texture before filling the pie shells.
9. Garnish with fresh strawberries. Let stand for 1 hour in the refrigerator or enjoy immediately !
* you can use other starches but as the properties of the starches are different, make sure to combine at least 2 types of starches (tapioca + potato, arrowroot + potato, etc)
** unlike the usual recipes, turmeric is added at the very end to have a better control on the color and on the flavor. Indeed, turmeric is a spice whose color and flavor increase with heat.